Windshield polishing on IV-P?

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

konstantin_azarov

Has anyone polished their windshield on a IV-P? Is it a safe operation for a pressurized airplane? There are no deep scratches, just a bunch of swirls from cleaning dust.

Thanks,
Konstantin
George Wehrung

I think it can be done. Let’s see if Brad Simmons pops up here with an answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brad Simmons

It can be done... to a point... Remember a couple things; First, if the aircraft is pressurized, the windshield thickness matters as it relates to the ability to withstand the pressurization forces. But probably more importantly, any significant material removal will affect the optics and create hazy spots. Think of a funhouse mirror at a carnival and how it distorts things.
For example, we often get asked to attempt to polish out scratches on the inside surface created by Rosen sunvisors. These are right in the pilot's viewing area... There is one IVP that we have in here occasionally where the runway, when on a long, straight in approach, looks like it has a bit of an "S" curve in it!
But if you must, obtain a quality plexiglass polishing kit from someone like LP Aeroplastics, and take baby steps. Keep in mind that certain solvents that are present in automotive paint polishing materials are harmful to plexiglass. If doing it by hand, expect to exert quite a bit of "elbow grease" to do the whole windshield.
Good luck!
Brad
konstantin_azarov

Thanks!
Ryan Riley

I'll echo Brad on the importance of using the right polishing kit. I also used LP and was conservative on the steps I used. It was on a Mooney Bravo, but it took out pretty heavy swirl marks. We're talking less than 0.02". If you want to be really conservative, you can call the canopy manufacture and ask them if 0.02" matters for a pressurized vessel.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
George Wehrung

konstantin_azarov wrote:Thanks!
Konstatin, how did the polishing work out? Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk