Main Gear Doors

General building topics, best practices, or good lessons to share

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

C Aero Services

Is anybody fly a IVP without the main gear doors?
If so what are the Plus/Minus to that set up?
Thanks
Martin Caskey
J.C. Peterson

Is there a reason you’re wanting to do that?

I ferried a IV-P once without gear doors to get them repaired. I kept speed at or below Vle to be on the safe side, though it would probably have been fine going faster. Vlo in particular is set to protect the gear doors more than anything.

It’s going to be slow, loud, and get exhaust and oil on the gear and in the gear wells. Carbon monoxide will likely be much more of a problem when the airplane isn’t pressurized.

If you’re planning on doing this as a permanent or even more than a very short-term solution I would highly recommend against it.
C Aero Services

Thanks for the response. All good points.
The reason I want to remove the doors, are
1. The doors are non standard hydraulic actuated. (no sliders)
2. During the retraction/extend cycle the doors are rubbing on the gear legs. Not enough power in the gear door cylinders to keep the doors open against the air loads.
3. With the power off on the ground, the doors are driven open. Not sure if the doors would be driven open if the power failed in flight.
4. From the evidence in the gear well, the doors do not stop exhaust or oil from migrating into the gear well. (I have seen this on the two other IV's I built.)
The only reason I ask the question is back in the late 70's Cessna removed the gear doors from the 210's. No change in speed or range.
Looking at the IV fuselage from the front, the doors are behind the fuselage break line. I doubt the air is attached to the bottom of the fuselage aft of the exhaust stacks.
Thanks