Fuel reading error

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

donsak

On a recent flight I had topped off my fuel. When I started the engine my right fuel reading indicated 57 gallons. I kept an eye on it and switched tanks every twenty minutes. The indicator kept decreasing as normal from the 57 gallon start. When I landed the right tank indicated 10 gallons and the left 45 with 72 remaining and 98 gallons used.
My next flight I added 86 gallons. I did not completely top off the fuel. I set the fuel total to 160 gallons. The same issue again with the inaccurate fuel reading. About an hour into the flight the readings corrected; 52 left/51 right 115 remaining, 45 used. An hour later the same error reappeared. Then it corrected itself and when I landed the readings were 21 left/ 30 right, 54 remaining
Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on and what to do?
Don Sak
EVO N675DS
KSRQ Florida Winter
KPTK Michigan Summer
George Wehrung

Don,

Did you get this resolved?

George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
donsak

It seems the Evolution fairies fixed the issue. I don’t know why it happened and how it corrected itself. Just another one of those experimental gremlins.
Don Sak
EVO N675DS
KSRQ Florida Winter
KPTK Michigan Summer
George Wehrung

No way! I have a loose connection somewhere in one of my sending units to my converter box to my Garmin sensor input. I have no idea where it is but it’s frustrating because I hate opening up the wire bundle to trace it down. But I know it has to happen.

donsak

Actually, I just remembered that I removed the silicone covering the electrical connection under the wing for the fuel probe. I removed the screws for the connection even though they were tight. I cleaned the connectors and reattached them applying new silicone over the end. The problem has not reappeared. So maybe I am the fairy who fixed it. But, I doubt it.
Don Sak
EVO N675DS
KSRQ Florida Winter
KPTK Michigan Summer
George Wehrung

I spent about three months re wiring all of my avionics after my guy really did a horrible job. Everything works great except the occasional loss of fuel qty reading on the right wing.