Installation of uavonix Skyfyx and echo uat

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Treemanfrom57

I have purchased the Uavionix Skyfyx and the Echo uat. I’m looking for suggestions on where to mount the antennas. I have one GPS antenna mounted on the glare shield currently. Thanks
George Wehrung

If you have a fiberglass plane, you can mount that GPS antenna almost anywhere, except near metal and you should be able to get a signal. On the other hand, if you have a carbon fiber fuselage, then you either need to mount it on the exterior of the plane or where it has a clear shot to the sky, such as Under the glare shield, or on top of the glare shield, or on top of the fuselage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treemanfrom57

Can I mount the Skyfyx puck antenna right next to my KLX135 antenna on the glare shield?
The Echo UAT has a small metal antenna. Can it be mounted inside the fuselage under the seat? Or does it need to go outside the fiberglass fuselage?
Thanks
George Wehrung

So I would just mount in a few different locations you are interested in. Some GPS antenna requirements have different links of coax that need to be associated with the reception. If you don’t have the proper amount of coax, you could be inhibiting, or reducing the amount of impedance that is required to go into that radio receiver. I think it would be safe to mount it next to that other antenna. But, again I would try a few different places out and have somebody tell you around the airport to determine the reception, but only if you need to be moving for the system to work. If not, just pull it out onto a taxi. Wait and see if you’re picking up traffic.

George Wehrung

How did you do on your installation?

Treemanfrom57

I have not installed it yet. Hoping I can mount the UATantenna inside under the seat.
George Wehrung

Ok I will be all ears to see how it works out for you.