Flight Test

General building topics, best practices, or good lessons to share

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Robert Pastusek

In case you’ve not heard, the FAA has just published a revision C to AC 90-89 that allows event-based flight testing of new and modified experimental, amateur-built aircraft. You still have the option of “flying off the (25 or 40) hours” to satisfy Phase I testing, but the new process is a significantly better way, and should get you through Phase I more quickly. It will also generate the performance information needed to operate your new Lancair safely throughout its flight envelope.
Your FSDO should include the authorization to conduct Phase I under 90-89C in any newly-issued operating limitations, but if you don’t have this, you can ask the FDSO to revise/update them.
Under the new rules, you are permitted to make and execute a flight test plan of your own creation-the FAA doesn’t want to review or critique it-BUT a better way is to start with a copy of the EAAs Flight Test Guide-available for purchase through the EAA website. The current version is adequate, but they hope to have an updated version that incorporates the latest AC 90-89C guidance available by AirVenture 2023.
I’d also suggest you consider using AC 90-116, Additional Pilot Program for Phase I Flight Test. Both of these procedures will provide a safer, faster and more complete test of your new Lancair!!
Call or write me at R.Pastusek@lancairowners.com, 757-286-4802 if I can help with this…
Bob Pastusek
Ryan Riley

Thanks Bob! That's good news for the community.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
George Wehrung

That’s fantastic! Did you help them write/improve the latest version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk