Does the ES have any "areas of concern" for my 1st condition inspection

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

George Wehrung

James

You’re on the right path. Yes it doesn’t look great when swinging the engine side to side and seeing all the flexing and the no strut drag link component Ori. Also, ensuring your front tire is aired up to at least 45 psi or close to 50 psi will help. But more importantly, having the proper hardware in the place, where supposed to go is one of the key factors. Ensuring that your engine cradle bolts are tightened and torqued properly to the firewall is another critical area. Lastly, look in the build manual for how the nose gear is attached and you will see what I am talking about as they have a good job showing pictures in that landing nose gear supplement for installing the thin washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan O'Brien

On "shimmy": I noticed something a bit like shimmy (minor) in my ES on landing and occasionally on taxiing that disturbed me, and my commercial instructor observed that application of the right brake affected it. Sure enough, my right gear receptacle had just a bit of play, so we stuffed some shims in the socket to get rid of it (semi-common issue in the ES). I only have one flight since, but did not detect any shimmy. If you're getting what seems like shimmy, make sure you have no wobble in your mains.

Happy and safe flying the best single engine piston fixed gear plane in all of aviation.
Dan