"Nicest/Easiest/Relaxing Flying Airplane I've Ever Flown"

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Dan O'Brien

I love rightfully positive posts about Lancairs that I see from experienced pilots. The following is from the BeechTalk list (great list BTW) from a pilot who used to own a IVP and has graduated to Citations. He bought an Extra 300 and found it challenging to land. He said it made the IV seem tame, and I queried what he meant by that. Seems he was pandering to the crowd out there that has heard all the misconceptions about how the IV series flies, which folks I know say is great (when in the envelope, of course). Here's the extchange:

Experienced Pilot/Extra 300 Newbie: I’ve owned many challenging aircraft but this is a new animal. You can be on a half mile final at 3000 ft and land on the numbers. It’s worse than a helicopter autorotation. Makes the Lancair IV seem tame. 420 roll rate. So far not in love with it.

Me: Just for education, wondering what aspects of the IV you found not very tame.

Experienced Pilot/Extra 300 Newbie: The IV-P is the one of the nicest/easiest/relaxing flying airplane I’ve ever flown. It’s an absolute joy to fly and very honest. The MU-2 is a little scarier than the IV. The extra steps it up a notch from the Mitsubishi. Of course either will kill you if you get them slow.

Isn't it great to have these planes! :D !
Admin
Site Admin

Dan, thanks for reposting from BeechTalk. It's good to see some 1st-hand posts vs the 2nd-hand guessing on how our planes fly. I hope you are getting some flying in!