Door Seal Inflation Pump Assembly

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Tom Nalevanko

Any insight appreciated…

In my IV-P, the door seal inflation pump assembly is entirely located within the door. (This may be a quick build door.) On the ground at 2,380 ft. MSL, it takes 9 to 10 seconds for the door seal to fully inflate. And then every 30 to 45 seconds the pump chirps less than a second. Don’t think that this is normal? I don’t see any leaks in the seal or tubing so suspect the check valve. The assembly, Made in Germany, looks like this:
IMG_0022.jpeg
IMG_0022.jpeg (117.76 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
The check valve looks to be the white piece.

Would appreciate any pointer to the assembly or check valve. Thanks,

Tom
George Wehrung

So the seal pump really doesn’t care about the engine running or if the cabin is pressurized to check it. You might expose as much of the tubing and pump assembly as you can. Let it inflate the door seal with the door closed and squirt it all down with a soapy solution and see if you can find a pin hole. The tubing is available as is the pump and check valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom Nalevanko

Thanks George for your suggestion. I did spray with soapy water with door closed and found no bubbles. But a better test would be to jumper the door contacts and spray when door open, assuming 20 psi will not blow the seal. I suspect the check valve.

A kind soul on the other list posted a schematic with detailed part info (apparently same as in Legacy).

A great resource would be a parts sourcing list that would be updated often.

Best,

Tom
George Wehrung

I agree about the parts listing. You’re right it probably is a check valve. Which you can order.

I do have an ongoing parts source list for my Lancair ES but I don’t for any other model. Perhaps other guys do?

Break break

Ryan, do you think that we could add a parts list spreadsheet by model number of aircraft?

Ryan Riley

George, we can totally do that. If you send me the spreadsheet, I'll sticky the post in the Maintenance section.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
Tom Nalevanko

Ryan,

Another request would be to up the attachment/picture size limit. Maybe match the “other” board? Storage is cheap these days…

Am currently away from my computer setup and find that I can’t reduce picture size directly on an iPad. Have to resort to tedious workarounds.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best,

Tom
George Wehrung

We the board have discussed moving over to other servers and unfortunately storage is not inexpensive…

George Wehrung

But we will move to a server system with more storage in the upcoming year. Ryan can expound

Admin
Site Admin

Server space is cheap for LancairLive. We're already on the cloud and nothing is stored locally. We have a hosted domain and a lot of storage. I'll bump up the picture size this week. Changes are coming for our LOBO website, lancairowners.com. More to follow once we have things lined up.

Tom - on your iPad you can either add pics via safari browser, or use Tapatalk. All the photos I've been uploading on my panel thread are directly from my phone via Tapatalk and it is a one-button add. Super easy. Call if you need help or want a talk-through.
Tom Sullivan

I found the most common issue is the Hysteresis, too low of a pressure variant between the “off point” and the “restart point”. I found an adjustable pressure switch, allowing both max pressure AND “restart” pressures to be set manually. I set mine to 18 pounds (the factory switch was hitting 22 pounds) with the low limit at 12 PSI. After I made that conversion, my pump and seal worked fine. I also installed a pressure gauge in my window sill of the door and that revealed a TON on what was happening with the seal pressure. Before installing the gauge, I had no idea the pressure dropped about 1/2 pound when the pump turned off, and the original switch hysteresis was 1 pound.

That check valve is an aquarium part, easily sourced for a couple bucks.

Tom