Insurance Update

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Joe Ryan

As many of you know, I advocate for a large group of owners and pilots in the Lancair Community with the underwriters.

I want to make you all aware that there is interest from an underwriting firm to begin quoting the Lancair IV-PT (propjet) with specific modifications (STC) produced by York Zentner and his group. Many of you know York and his organization.

There is potential for the piston Lancair IV and IV-P to be included as well with York's specific STC's.

I want to clearly state that no details are firm yet and there are no SET RATES or SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS outlined as this is a potential development being considered by underwriting.

Give me a call if you want more details and glad to answer questions. I will update the group as we continue to move forward.

Joe
Joe Ryan
Aviation Insurance Broker
CML, ATP, CFI/CFII
Direct: 612-294-7215
jryan@wingsinsurance.com
George Wehrung

That’s awesome Joe! I will try and call today. I am on the road for another 13 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.C. Peterson

Joe Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:17 pm I want to make you all aware that there is interest from an underwriting firm to begin quoting the Lancair IV-PT (propjet) with specific modifications (STC) produced by York Zentner and his group. Many of you know York and his organization.

There is potential for the piston Lancair IV and IV-P to be included as well with York's specific STC's.
For those of us who aren’t familiar, can you share what York offers for the IV-PT? A website link would be appreciated.
George Wehrung

So I talked to Joe today. And the modifications are two things. First they are winglets and secondly, they are ventral strakes from what I can tell.

The speed penalty has been -2 kn as well as the speed game on other aircraft as much as 7 kn.

The stall speeds have lowered significantly and an increase in spin resistance has been documented.

According to Joe, one of the underwriters, that’s considering underwriting Lancair for again The aircraft with the mods and was impressed.

Ken Hand

Pls confirm these are the Friedel wingtips?
Are the performance numbers you're referencing on planes with both the strake and wingtip mod or just the wingtips?
George Wehrung

Hi Ken

From what I can tell, These are not the Friedel tips/mods

Please Click on the link and read the article and let us know what you think?

George Wehrung

https://www.kitplanes.com/taming-the-lancair-iv/

Joe Ryan

York and his group at Vortecx are the experts on the modifications. They can handle questions in regards to the exact characteristics, timeline, cost, etc.

The insurance carriers are aware of the mods from his group and see them as widening the saftey margin sufficiently to consider writing the IV-PT turbine. The Lancair IV and IV-P (pistons) will also be considered with these modifications.

I can discuss in detail all things insurance related but am not the expert on the mods themselves. York is the expert there.

Joe
Joe Ryan
Aviation Insurance Broker
CML, ATP, CFI/CFII
Direct: 612-294-7215
jryan@wingsinsurance.com
J.C. Peterson

I have some history with those wingtips. I flew an Epic LT equipped with them a number of years ago. The owner installed them hoping for additional speed and fuel capacity. The flight characteristics, much as mentioned about the IV-PT in the article, were “unique.” The airplane has since been returned to stock configuration.

On a side note related to the article, I cringe at the thought of doing flight testing in an aircraft known to have severe stall characteristics, especially at aft CG, with three people in the airplane. It shows what appears to be a lack of judgment by all involved. As the author of the piece noted “This fool went poking around the stall with too much confidence in the new handling and got bit.” They’re lucky the flight ended the way it did, and not as it has for others who have shown the same temerity.
Attachments
IMG_4295.jpeg
IMG_4295.jpeg (118.41 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
George Wehrung

I hadn’t gotten to the bottom of the article but something tells me there’s more to the story.

Thank you JC for shedding some light on this. I am always amazed at how much tribal knowledge there is in this community.