Friedel Wingtips on a IV-P

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Ken Hand

Hello all... Anyone have experience flying a IV with the Friedel tips? If so, any thoughts on performance? Cost? Etc?

I'm partial to the aesthetics of the X-Pros but my understanding is that there are no plans for them to manufacture more of them "...for the foreseeable future." Bummer.

Thanks,

Ken
George Wehrung

So we just received info that Joe Ryan posted on Paul Millers site re wingtip mods

From Joe Ryan:

As many of you know, I advocate for a large group of owners and pilots in the Lancair Community with the underwriters.

I want to make you all aware that there is interest from an underwriting firm to begin quoting the Lancair IV-PT (propjet) with specific modifications (STC) produced by York Zentner and his group. Many of you know York and his organization.

There is potential for the piston Lancair IV and IV-P to be included as well with York's specific STC's.

I want to clearly state that no details are firm yet and there are no SET RATES or SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS outlined as this is a potential development being considered by underwriting.

Give me a call if you want more details and glad to answer questions. I will update the group as we continue to move forward.

Joe

https://www.kitplanes.com/taming-the-lancair-iv/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken Hand

Has anyone been able to get in touch with York Zenter and / or Vortexc Industries? My calls and emails have gone unanswered.
Ryan Riley

Unless I see wind-tunnel testing, or aerodynamic modeling simulation data, I don't support tying a wingtip mod to lower insurance. Without hard data, it simply is marketing. LOBO is happy to look at the engineering data and results. Otherwise, "caveat imperator."
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
J.C. Peterson

Ken Hand wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:18 am Hello all... Anyone have experience flying a IV with the Friedel tips? If so, any thoughts on performance? Cost? Etc?

I'm partial to the aesthetics of the X-Pros but my understanding is that there are no plans for them to manufacture more of them "...for the foreseeable future." Bummer.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken,
There was a discussion chain on them a little while ago:
https://www.lancairlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=142

If you’d like some related information after looking over the other posts feel free to PM me.