LIV-P engine baffling

General building topics, best practices, or good lessons to share

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

C Aero Services

7 February 2023
In the process of replacing the engine on a IV-P. Ordered a new baffle kit from Lancair. The new kit doesn't have the intercoolers set back on the baffles. The aft baffle is just forward of the accessory case parting line. This places the intercoolers about 6" forward of the old location.
I thought the reason the intercoolers are moved aft is to clear the cowling. So how does this work?
Thanks
MC
Edward Smith

Monday Evening
3/13/23

MC,
I saw your post regarding the adaptation of the new baffling to the old style cowling, but was unable to post until I got registered. By now, this is probably old news, but I'll put it out there. We have the early style cowling where the intercoolers were positioned approximately 6 inches aft so there would be enough clearance for the cowling. I spoke with Henry Bartle about this and he commented that to get the required clearance for the cowling you had to remove approximately 3/4" of material from the front edge of the cooler - to just grind the corner and weld it closed. I did what he suggested, but took it one step further - I took aproximately 3/4" material off of the entire side of the cooler. Of course, you have to remove the extensions previously welded in the discharge of the cooler, plus shorten the discharge pipe for the turbo going into the cooler. The attached pictured should give you an idea of what I'm trying to explain. Let me know if you have any questions. I can be reached via cell: 757-641-2387 or through Lancair LIve.
Tailwinds,
Ed Smith
Attachments
IMG_3562.jpg
IMG_3562.jpg (83.75 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
IMG_4467.jpg
IMG_4467.jpg (126.64 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
IMG_4463.jpg
IMG_4463.jpg (123.05 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Edward Smith

MC,
The file size is limited, so hence another post. Attached are some additional pictures.
Ed Smith
Attachments
IMG_3577.jpg
IMG_3577.jpg (115.94 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
IMG_3568.jpg
IMG_3568.jpg (112.47 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
IMG_3567.jpg
IMG_3567.jpg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
tomthibault

Over the years I think it went from more aft mounted intercoolers to more forward. All the earlier IVPs that I have seen have the more aft. Mine has the more forward. I have room for oil/air separator and remote oil filter in that space.
C Aero Services

Hello Mr. Smith
Thanks for the response. Very nice pictures. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Another project reared it ugly head that put this on the back burner for a few weeks. Think TCM snap ring inspection.
I thought there would be an issue with the intercoolers clearing the cowling.
I have decided the old baffling will get repaired/rebuilt as needed.
Again
Thank you
Martin Caskey
George Wehrung

Those are some really cool pics. Nice job taking those intercoolers Down in length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk