320 Propeller

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

waggoner.jb

I have a 1994 320 with a 3-Blade composite MT prop. I need to get more weight on the nose due to aft CG that got worse after an engine overhaul (already have an 11 lbs dampener up front). I was thinking about going to the Hartzell HC-F2YL-1F/F8468D-14 prop but am not crazy about the 70" diameter. Several questions here:

1) Any other way to get more weight up front that I am not thinking of?
2) should I not worry so much about aft CG and just keep my speed up?
3) Should I not worry about taxiing with a prop with very little ground clearance?
4)Other question I should be asking?

Thanks, in advance.

JB
tomthibault

My battery is on the firewall (engine side). If that is too hard and yours is anywhere behind the current CG, just swap it to an earthX
Ryan Riley

You can ballast up front to add weight, or switch to a metal prop. I agree that Earth X will free up some CG and weight if it is mounted behind the cabin.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
Chris Zavatson

waggoner.jb wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:49 pm I have a 1994 320 with a 3-Blade composite MT prop. I need to get more weight on the nose due to aft CG that got worse after an engine overhaul (already have an 11 lbs dampener up front). I was thinking about going to the Hartzell HC-F2YL-1F/F8468D-14 prop but am not crazy about the 70" diameter. Several questions here:

1) Any other way to get more weight up front that I am not thinking of?
2) should I not worry so much about aft CG and just keep my speed up?
3) Should I not worry about taxiing with a prop with very little ground clearance?
4)Other question I should be asking?

Thanks, in advance.

JB
Big tail or small tail. That drives the answer to the CG question.
Flew 24 years with 68: diameter, now 70".