Discussion about avionics, upgrades, best practices, panels

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Gordon Porter

Never had a problem with the location.
George Wehrung

Looks like a very clean install Gordon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan Riley

I'm still looking for a decent Lancair IV/ES instrument panel Solidworks template. If anyone has one, I'd be much obliged if you can share. Otherwise I'm going to design it from scratch.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
George Wehrung

Might reach out to Dave waltrip out of Leesburg Va. he might sell or design one for you

Ryan Riley

George Wehrung wrote:Might reach out to Dave waltrip out of Leesburg Va. he might sell or design one for you

George, I want to design my own, I just don't want to start from scratch if I don't have to. Thanks for the point out, though.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
George Wehrung

Yeah man!

Ryan Riley

Making progress, albeit slower than I'd like. My first template showed several misalignments based off the instrument support structure. The problem is I'm going from three separate panels to one. I'm about to mock up my second template and see if it is any better.
PXL_20231117_180049203.jpg
PXL_20231117_180049203.jpg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 1459 times
As far as CAD drawings go, I got one from another ES owner, and I compared it to my panel dimensions and against Dynon's supplied CAD drawing. What I've found is no two ES instrument panels are the same. I know this is probably old news to some, but it is good to highlight to new owners or non-owner builders. I'm slowly working through making my own CAD drawing and will hang it here if someone needs it.

Regarding the ACM, I'm still deciding on the best placement. Right now I'm leaning towards either mounted against the firewall on the passenger side, or mounted horizontally on that shelf. The firewall drawback is it'd be using mounting bolts that are holding the engine electric components on the firewall. Not sure if that will cause interference.
PXL_20231110_003757455.jpg
PXL_20231110_003757455.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 1459 times
PXL_20231110_003748978.jpg
PXL_20231110_003748978.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 1459 times
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
Robert Pastusek

Ryan
I built my instrument panel with several AL “sub-panels” attached to the original fiberglass main panel. With appropriate wiring service loops, this allows me to remove sub-panels for servicing individual instruments or (more frequently) access behind them. Over the years, this has proven well worth the extra effort in doing it this way.
Be sure to mount your ACM where you can readily access all the connectors without de-mounting the whole thing!! Good example of the point about access—you will access the ACM connectors from time to time.
Bob
George Wehrung

Bob is correct. But, using your right display as an access point is not a bad idea. Once you pull that display out, it’s not very thick and it’s a large hole where you can get your arm in there to work with those connectors. Plus once you remove the top Claire shield that will free a lot of access space where you can reach over the top of the instrument panel Underneath the windshield and access that panel if it were mounted flat to get connectors. The big key though, is thinking of your right display as an access hatch in itself.

Ryan Riley

Bob and Jorge, thanks for your input. My plan is to use the right display as an access as it is about a 10" hole once the display is removed (4 screws). The ACM will be directly behind it on that firewall shelf.

If I remove the left display, that'll get me access to the back of my rocker switches and the Dynon EMS and associated harness.

I have the center avionics stack about built, so I'll test fit it later today, take pics, check the template and be ready to cut the panel tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES