Lancair ES - Steam Gauges to Dynon

Discussion about avionics, upgrades, best practices, panels

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Ryan Riley

Hey all, I put my panel order into Dynon May 2022 and they're about finished with the panel and ready to ship. I plan to install it, which will be a large undertaking.

The panel will be two 10.4" AFS screens, IFD-540, remote transponder and comm, G5 backup, Dynon autopilot

There are a lot of threads about Garmin panels, so I figured I document how the Dynon panel install and use goes. Here are some pics of the current panel:

More to follow shortly.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
George Wehrung

I will follow this one and wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan Riley

It's begun! I just got my Dynon and AFS quick build components and am pulling out the old this week. Going to work on getting the old panels matched to the new aluminum for CNC cutting, then will start the ACM wiring connecting. I'll be filming this along the way.Image

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
Ryan Riley

A quick shoutout to Stein Air as they came highly recommended on the VAF forum. I called them and they walked me through the tools I need for the quick panel wiring. Their prices are great.

Crimper, 4 way indent 1
Ratcheting Crimper FRAME ONLY
Insulated Terminal Die ONLY
Coax Cable Crimp Die 1
MOLEX type / Open Barreled Pin Crimper
Automatic Wire Stripper, 16-26 AWG

They recommended going through Amazon to order the Rready DRK-D SUB Pins insertion Extraction Tool.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
George Wehrung

You should also get the Molex de-pinning tools because you mess a few up.

Also crimping Molex pins is a two step process w most crimpers

Ryan Riley

Day 1 complete. I got all the gauges and center stack out and am starting on removing parts of the wiring harness. While I get that going, I'm getting ready to mock up the new panel blank.

Since I'm going with the virtual breakers pinned to the ACM, I'd like to get rid of the brace circled on the photo and then cut one panel vs two (co pilot + breaker panel) since those breakers will no longer be there. Does anyone see issues with my plan? Image

-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
George Wehrung

There is no issue with cutting that vertical brace out and making a combined larger panel on the right side. Just make sure you leave yourself enough of a boss to attach the upper strut bracing material that goes to the firewall to the instrument panel. Also, don’t go too thin on your instrument panels that will hold your displays.

Ryan Riley

George Wehrung wrote:There is no issue with cutting that vertical brace out and making a combined larger panel on the right side. Just make sure you leave yourself enough of a boss to attach the upper strut bracing material that goes to the firewall to the instrument panel. Also, don’t go too thin on your instrument panels that will hold your displays.

The two upper strut braces are mounted at the center stack (left and right) junction.

-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
Ryan Riley

Here's my current panel mock up. I need to get the panel layout finished and cut this week.

I'm debating whether to keep the AFS avionics switch panel on the panel, or just keep them as a row of rockers below since we have those panels available. Thoughts?

Also, has anyone converted to one panel vs three? The way it's currently laid out, it'll be two panels and one center stack. Image

-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
George Wehrung

I am not sure what the “AFS” panel is?

Consider placing the autopilot control panel in the center stack area. I say that because once you have the glare shield is installed it will be hard to see the buttons especially at night. I know it will be memory actions. Plus someone if needed can operate from the right side.

I have never seen a one panel setup but I always think redundant. The panels do fail; rarely but they can crap out.

If you can tape your mockup up and install the seats and glare shield. You can mockup a glare shield with some heavy duty card board if necessary.