Annual Condition Inspection

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Dan OBrien

Looking for the best sources for information on performing the annual condition inspection, both the rules and the steps.

Rules: My operating limitations says an annual condition inspection should be performed "per the scope and detail of Part 43, Appendix D, manufacturer or other FAA-approved programs..." Part 43 Appendix D provides a clear checklist. Does "manufacturer" here refer to the kit manufacturer, or me? If the kit manufacturer, I would assume that Appendix B of the ES manual posted on the Lancair website would be their approved steps. But as builder, am I the "manufacturer?"

Steps: What is the best guide anyone has found? There's Part 43 Appendix D and the ES manual appendix B, which provide clear checklists, but I was hoping to find something with some "how to" in it. I see that I can find information on a lot of specific steps by searching the web, but it would be nice to know the best sources that contain a lot of the information in one place, assuming they exist.
Happy & Safe Flying,
Dan
Admin
Site Admin

Paging Bob Pastusek or George Wehrung. Hopefully, they check in shortly.

Ryan
bryannairn

Hey Dan, Here is the Lancair condition inspection checklist. It conforms to Part 43 Appendix D.

For experimental builder/manufacturer are interchangeable. Are you the builder? If you have the workman's repair certificate, you may complete the condition inspection and sign it off yourself. If you are not the builder, you will need an A&P to sign off the inspection; however, the A&P need not possess an inspection authorization (IA).

As for steps...since these airplanes are experimental or home built, they possess a great deal of customization from one example to the next. For example, checking mag timing will be different depending on whether you are running E-Mag electronic ignition versus traditional Slick or Bendix.

Was there something specific for which you wished you had instructions?
Bryan Nairn
N535DJ - 2001 RV-6A (21963)
N349RF - 2003 Lancair Super ES (ES-102-FB)
Based at S50 - Auburn, WA
Dan OBrien

bryannairn wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:22 pm Hey Dan, Here is the Lancair condition inspection checklist. It conforms to Part 43 Appendix D.

For experimental builder/manufacturer are interchangeable. Are you the builder? If you have the workman's repair certificate, you may complete the condition inspection and sign it off yourself. If you are not the builder, you will need an A&P to sign off the inspection; however, the A&P need not possess an inspection authorization (IA).

As for steps...since these airplanes are experimental or home built, they possess a great deal of customization from one example to the next. For example, checking mag timing will be different depending on whether you are running E-Mag electronic ignition versus traditional Slick or Bendix.

Was there something specific for which you wished you had instructions?
Thanks Bryan. I've cobbled together various condition inspection checklists and of course am aware of Part 43 Appendix D. What I was really looking for, but haven't really found, is more of a "how to" manual for things that A&P mechanics do everyday, like compression checks, cleaning and gaping plugs, cleaning injectors, setting timing, repacking bearings, etc. etc. etc. These things aren't complicated -- they're pretty basic things -- but knowledge that folks who do it everyday have is helpful when one is getting started on things like this (like I did with my first annual).

I've managed to get myself educated by getting help from Flight Metrics (highly recommended!), talking to folks, watching youtubes, reading old threads, etc. There really doesn't seem to be a "how to" manual out there, at least that I've found, but I've found lots of documents that are helpful from from LOBO, FAA, AOPA, EAA, LancairTalk threads, the old LML threads, etc. I just wish it were in one place. Someone should write a book!
Happy & Safe Flying,
Dan
bryannairn

Hi Dan,

I'm sure you've seen these, but placing them here just in case. These manuals cover many of the topics you discussed (e.g. compression checks, repacking bearings), as well as all of the topics included in the body of knowledge A&Ps study.

Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook – General
FAA-H-8083-31A, Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook-Airframe Volume 1
FAA-H-8083-31A, Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook-Airframe Volume 2
FAA-H-8083-32A, Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook-Powerplant Volume 1
FAA-H-8083-32A, Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook-Powerplant Volume 2
Bryan Nairn
N535DJ - 2001 RV-6A (21963)
N349RF - 2003 Lancair Super ES (ES-102-FB)
Based at S50 - Auburn, WA
George Rosel

Hey Gang,

I just created a YouTube link on our website. Please check it out. This is my first shot at producing a video like this and I promise I will get better in the future. Please excuse the uh's and ah's but this shows that any of us can produce something valuable for our membership.

Our hope is that many folks will send us their maintenance videos for review. If approved, we will post them on our link.

Thanks,

... George
George F. Rosel

Lancair Owners & Builders (LOBO)

President

(cell) 303-995-5501
Dan OBrien

bryannairn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:14 pm Hi Dan,

I'm sure you've seen these, but placing them here just in case. These manuals cover many of the topics you discussed (e.g. compression checks, repacking bearings), as well as all of the topics included in the body of knowledge A&Ps study.

Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook – General
FAA-H-8083-31A, Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook-Airframe Volume 1
FAA-H-8083-31A, Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook-Airframe Volume 2
FAA-H-8083-32A, Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook-Powerplant Volume 1
FAA-H-8083-32A, Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook-Powerplant Volume 2
Thanks Bryan, super helpful. I notice you're just down 80 from me. I'm in Truckee. I haven't been to Auburn yet. I'll have to pop down there sometime.
Happy & Safe Flying,
Dan
Dan OBrien

George Rosel wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:38 pm Hey Gang,

I just created a YouTube link on our website. Please check it out. This is my first shot at producing a video like this and I promise I will get better in the future. Please excuse the uh's and ah's but this shows that any of us can produce something valuable for our membership.

Our hope is that many folks will send us their maintenance videos for review. If approved, we will post them on our link.

Thanks,

... George
George, that youtube is fantastic! Very nicely done, very motivating. Thanks for doing that.
Happy & Safe Flying,
Dan
Gordon Porter

Great video, George!

I didn't replay it, but did I see zip ties on your engine mount?

If so, that may generate some discussion on this forum!

Take care.

Gordon
George Wehrung

Dan,

Did I ever send you my self derived checklist I use?

George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk