Lifting the nose wheel

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

konstantin_azarov

Hi all,

Is there any way to lift the nose wheel off the ground that doesn't involve an engine hoist, and is less sketchy than raising the entire airplane on jacks? I saw references to loading the tail, but it seems like with a IV-P it requires excessive weight (upwards of 300 lbs).

Best,
Konstantin
tomthibault

Hopefully you all ready have a weighted tail stand. To do a normal gear swing you need one anyway (or use the engine hoist).
My process is to connect the tail stand and raise the MLG jacks a few inches. This will raise the nose right away, so it isn't sketchy.
Dan OBrien

konstantin_azarov wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:25 pm Hi all,

Is there any way to lift the nose wheel off the ground that doesn't involve an engine hoist, and is less sketchy than raising the entire airplane on jacks? I saw references to loading the tail, but it seems like with a IV-P it requires excessive weight (upwards of 300 lbs).

Best,
Konstantin
Here's how we lifted my ES at Flight Metrics' shop. The contraption in back is just a barrel filled with concrete and telescoping square angel with holes that allow putting a bolt through the tie down ring at different heights. The IV folks will know better, but I would think for a gear swing you might want something more stable than the padded jacks under the spar that you see on my wings. I don't have jack points, but I'll guess that most IV builders (and probably many ES builders) put them in.

All Photos - 1 of 1 (3).jpeg
All Photos - 1 of 1 (3).jpeg (119.9 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Last edited by Dan OBrien on Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy & Safe Flying,
Dan
Dan OBrien

Here's a better pic of the square angle embedded in the concrete-filled barrel.

All Photos - 1 of 1 (4).jpeg
All Photos - 1 of 1 (4).jpeg (127.33 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Happy & Safe Flying,
Dan