Engine install

Topics relating to Lancair models

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Dave Taylor

I am putting my replacement engine in.
What is the general order of the procedure?
Ie here are some general components; would putting them out of order make the process more difficult?
The fuel & intake system is installed already.

Baffles
Hoses
Exhaust
Accessories
Prop

Thanks!
Dave
Dave Taylor
KMRF
west Texas
Lancair IV (3rd owner)
Ryan Riley

Dave, I'd give a shout to Bob Pastusek, one of the LOBO board members and super sharp on Lancair maintenance. If he doesn't have something, he'll know someone who does.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
Brad Simmons

Do you expect anything to NOT fit? For instance, a new prop... figure out that first.
But otherwise, hang what you can on the engine before putting it back on the airframe. Especially stuff on the back.
Then, accessories, baffles, control cables, hoses, sensors, wiring, prop.
Don't seal or silicone anything until the end.
If you have a new mount or new vibration isolators, remember the engine may not be exactly where it was before.
if it is a different engine, or a different oil pan, be sure and cycle the gear to insure retracted clearance.
Good luck!
Brad
Admin
Site Admin

Brad Simmons wrote:Do you expect anything to NOT fit? For instance, a new prop... figure out that first.
But otherwise, hang what you can on the engine before putting it back on the airframe. Especially stuff on the back.

Good luck!
Brad
Awesome advice Brad!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Dave Taylor

Thanks, Brad.
Probably a function of what the dyno needs but EVERY one of the 35-40 fittings are clocked differently than what I need!
Dave Taylor
KMRF
west Texas
Lancair IV (3rd owner)
Dan OBrien

Ryan Riley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:10 pm Dave, I'd give a shout to Bob Pastusek, one of the LOBO board members and super sharp on Lancair maintenance. If he doesn't have something, he'll know someone who does.
I'm a new Lancair flyer (since April 2022, after a rather long build, LOL). The knowledge of Bob and Brad (referenced in the next note in this thread) and Flight Metrics (former Lancaair folks I've worked with in Redmond) have answered every question I've had. Brad doesn't even know this, as I've never bought anything from him (but may soon), but I've read LML, the Lancair ES Yahoo list, LancairTalk, and this list, and exchanged emails with folks, and the folks I've cited and other knowledgeable folks are on those lists and have major knowledge. This community has a TON of knowledge worth tapping. Not intending to pummel those guys with phone calls, but I am definitely encouraging folks to use the resources I've just referenced (working on getting the Lancair ES Yahoo List info to make available). We're not as big as Vans, but our best experts are as good or better than their best experts.
Happy & Safe Flying,
Dan
Admin
Site Admin

Agree on all accounts, Dan!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

George Wehrung

That’s fantastic Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk