New composite prop for the Lancair 360 from Hartzell

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

Chris Zavatson

I've been testing a new composite propeller for Hartzell. They just announced it at OSH this year. It will be on the flight line at Sun River for the Landing.
Performance report is located here:

https://n91cz.com/Hartzell/7068-7504%20 ... arison.pdf
Attachments
thumb.jpg
thumb.jpg (238.62 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
George Wehrung

Ooh I hope that it’s more resistant to chips and dings than the MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.C. Peterson

George Wehrung wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:41 am Ooh I hope that it’s more resistant to chips and dings than the MT.
If those blades are anything like the composite Hartzells on the Cirrus, Evo, IV, PC-12, et al, there isn’t much to worry about. They have proven to be much more robust.
Chris Zavatson

I was wondering about durability myself. I’ve been flying it for 14 months now and it is holding up better than the aluminum prop. I’ve been pleasantly surprised.
George Wehrung

Do it also have the nickel leading edges?

George Wehrung

J.C. Peterson wrote:
George Wehrung wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:41 am Ooh I hope that it’s more resistant to chips and dings than the MT.
If those blades are anything like the composite Hartzells on the Cirrus, Evo, IV, PC-12, et al, there isn’t much to worry about. They have proven to be much more robust.
JC how much is a 4-blade? Do you think you get any more top end speed from a lighter prop. I know the 4th blade is also more drag.

Ryan Riley

Chris, thanks for the great write-up! Like George, I'm interested in what the performance gain/loss is for us using the MT prop.
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES
J.C. Peterson

George Wehrung wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:11 pm
J.C. Peterson wrote: If those blades are anything like the composite Hartzells on the Cirrus, Evo, IV, PC-12, et al, there isn’t much to worry about. They have proven to be much more robust.
JC how much is a 4-blade? Do you think you get any more top end speed from a lighter prop. I know the 4th blade is also more drag.
Which aircraft?

My bigger point is the damage-resistance of Hartzell composite props compared with MTs. Several maintenance shops I know have a running joke about MT props: MT says they’re easier to repair which is a good thing because they’re constantly needing repair…
George Wehrung

That’s priceless!

Ryan Riley

Do we have a contact at Hartzell to inquire about a composite prop for the ES?
-Ryan
Lancair ES Instructor
LOBO Webmaster
2007 Lancair ES