Replacing Brake Pads or Inspecting Pads on High Energy Calipers

Questions, best practices, and general info regarding getting your hands dirty

Moderators: George Wehrung, Admin

George Wehrung

All,

So I installed the High Energy brake pads on my ES. Yes, if you can get a pair of these calipers, you should. More stopping power for sure. But what you will learn is that the pads fit over rivets on the backing plates whereas on other models the pads are attached to the pressure plate. What does this mean to you? When you are reassembling the caliper and sliding it into position you have to keep the pads on the inner plate attached or they could come off; especially if you are jiggling the assembly along some dirty anchor bolts. Therefore throughly clean all parts with a can of brake cleaner, (protect your eyes from splash back) and lightly lube the anchor bolt. Oh, it always helps to squeeze in the caliper piston using a C clamp with protective ends to prevent damaging the caliper piston insulators. The caliper doesn't come off when you are simply inspecting the wheel assembly and cleaning/re packing the wheel bearings therefore it is important to clean as much of the caliper assembly as possible.

Now the reassembly trick. As you are sliding the caliper assembly forward along the anchor bolts I used a washer holder as its thin and has a great deal of spring/flexibility to it and it can reach in to hold and keep the inner pads on the pressure plate. Once you get the caliper assembly up against the disc you can slide your tool out. Then gently feed in the bolts, (yes, all 4 of them) until the threads are protruding enough to get the insulator (this is not on the standard brake assembly) to hang on the threads. Then slide the back plate/lining as carefully as one can from the bottom or top and using your tool you can maneuver it into place enough to get the bolt threads started. Tighten the bolts enough to keep the pads from coming off their rivets. Remove your tool and repeat the process with the remaining back plate. If you discover that the wheel will not rotate there is a chance that one of the pads came off it's rivet on the pressure plate (likely) and you can't see it, but it took up the room up against the disc. You will have to disassemble and start again; ask me how I know? Look at the pics attached.
IMG_2346.jpeg
IMG_2346.jpeg (93.24 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
IMG_2345.jpeg
IMG_2345.jpeg (96.26 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
IMG_2344.jpeg
IMG_2344.jpeg (80.02 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
IMG_2342.jpeg
IMG_2342.jpeg (90.22 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
IMG_2341.jpeg
IMG_2341.jpeg (82.83 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
IMG_2340.jpeg
IMG_2340.jpeg (76.64 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
Admin
Site Admin

Great writeup George! How much of a stopping difference are you seeing?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

George Wehrung

Actually significantly more. I have not quantified it yet. But I noticed that I am going through a set of pads quite quickly. So those are going on order again. The other thing is that doing a high power RunUp these pads don't hold as well as the traditional brakes do. Not sure if they need more heat to function properly or what.
tomthibault

George, did you condition the pads right after installation. When I did that, it made a huge difference in holding for a run-up.
Dave Taylor

Definitely a 'hold your tongue just right' task
Dave Taylor
KMRF
west Texas
Lancair IV (3rd owner)
George Wehrung

tomthibault wrote:George, did you condition the pads right after installation. When I did that, it made a huge difference in holding for a run-up.
I did a couple of hot runs down the runway and that seemed to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JamesMunafo

George,

"Yes, if you can get a pair of these calipers, you should. More stopping power for sure." I have been looking for the upgrade high energy kit for my Cleveland brakes (which seem very anemic), but have had a real challenge finding kit #199-124 A from Parker (Cleveland), the "A" referrers to just the upgrade kit, not the entire assembly. I don't know if your are referring to only changing the calipers to high energy ones, and not an entire upgrade kit?

James Munafo Jr.
George Wehrung

Hi James,

I did get a set of these calipers and I need to replace the pads already. We were right these brakes to stop incredibly well. But I also noticed that the pads were much quicker :-). I guess that comes at the cost of better stopping powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk